Navigate / search

Free/Reduced Meals

To apply for free or reduced price meals or milk, use this Free and Reduced Price Meal Application 2019-2020, which can be printed using acrobat reader, or you can use the online application in Infinite Campus. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Central High School, P.O. Box 38, Salem, WI 53168 – Attn: Nancy Switalla.

Instructions for completing the Free and Reduced Price Meal Application can be viewed by clicking here.

Children need healthy meals to learn. Central High School offers healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free meals or reduced price meals. Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. Our Computerized Meal System ensures no student may be identified as being approved for subsidized meals when receiving their lunch or milk.

Households that are receiving FoodShare, FDPIR or W-2 cash benefits do not have to fill out an application. School officials will notify you of your child’s eligibility and your child will be provided free benefits, unless you tell the school that you do not want benefits.

Here are some frequently asked questions about free or reduced priced meals:

Do I need to fill out an application for each child? Note: Central High School is it’s own school district, and if you have students enrolled at the grade school, you will need to fill out an application there as well.

No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household.

Who can get free or reduced price meals?

Children in households getting FoodShare, FDPIR or W-2 cash benefits and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free or reduced price meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?

Please call Nancy Switalla 262-843-2321 ext. 228 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes, we may ask you to send written proof of the information you provide.

I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

We are in the military, do we include our housing allowance as income?

If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: John Gendon, District Administrator, Central High School, 24617 75th Street, P.O. Box 38, Salem, WI 53168 or 262-843-45211

If you have other questions or need help, call 262-843-2321 x 382


John Gendon
District Administrator