Navigate / search

Free/Reduced Meals

Children need healthy meals to learn. Canby School District offers healthy meals every school day. Elementary children (Grades K-6) may purchase a lunch for $2.70, and middle school and senior high students (Grades 7-12) may purchase a lunch for $2.90. Breakfast is offered at all schools. Elementary(Grade K-6) can purchase breakfast for $1.35. High School (Grade 7-12) breakfast is $1.75. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Free breakfast and lunch is available for students approved for either Reduced priced or Free meals. Our Computerized Meal System ensures no student may be identified as being approved for subsidized meals when receiving their lunch or milk.

Free Meal Application packet
Here are some frequently asked questions about free or reduced priced meals:

Who can get free or reduced-price meals?

Children in households participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), and foster children can get free school meals without reporting household income. Also, children can get free or reduced-price meals if their household income is within the maximum income shown for the household size on the instructions. Approval for school meal benefits is good for the school year.

Do foster children qualify for free meals?

Yes, foster children who are the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals regardless of household income.

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens for your children to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?

Include yourself and all other people living in the household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends). Include a household member who is temporarily away, such as a

college student.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally get. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

How will the information I provide be kept?

Information you provide on the form, and your child’s approval for school meal benefits, will be protected as private data. See the back page of the Application for Educational Benefits for more

information about how the information is used.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask

for a hearing.

If you have other questions or need help, call Laurie Yackley, 507-223-2001.